Heart-breaking video shared by Virat Kohli shows A Mother Coercing Her Little Daughter To Rote Learn
In a video shared yesterday (19th July) by Virat Kohli on Instagram, a woman, presumably the mother, was forcing her daughter to learn counting in a way that is as much intolerable as it is heart-wrenching. This video is probably just a glimpse of the vast majority of young children in India who are annoyingly agonized in the name of education, competition and career.
Kohli had the following message through the video caption:
“The fact that the pain and anger of the child is ignored and ones own ego to make the child learn is so massive that compassion has totally gone out of the window. This is shocking and saddening to another dimension. A child can never learn if intimidated. This is hurtful.”
The video shows the mother asking her child, in a rude and sharp tone, to repeat certain numbers in a loud voice. The helpless little girl is crying her heart out, pleading and begging to speak and teach with love and enduring all of this with a headache. The mother then slaps the girl who subsequently shows her agitation by loud, vehement repetitions of counting.
We should all be strongly against such kind of teaching methods, and should try in the best of our abilities to dissuade parents, teachers and tutors alike from getting involved in such hostile teaching practices. The foremost supreme purpose of education is to develop a right character and personality and refine it to the highest of standards. But incidents like these highlight the extreme level of delusion in which our society is currently caught up, blanketed by our education system, which values mere material and superficial knowledge. Most of us are involved in trying to eke out a living in one or the other way, disregarding the culture of virtues that we have to build alongside. Mere collection of trivial facts and figures is nothing more than a worthless stockpile.
The purpose of true education which moulds our character, has no limits. The expression of each word, action, thought and conduct imbibed with the highest levels of morality, righteousness and integrity is what we should all aim for. Children at such a tender age have a fragile heart and shouldn’t be subjected to such aggressive interactions. Not only does this instil in them a sense of fear, anger and hatred but it also berefts them of all their inherent latent moral qualities over time. Harassing and abusing should never be an option! Perhaps it’s time to realize that teaching with a sense of love and understanding is the first step.
Here are some enlightening quotes for all of us to comprehend what education truly means:
1. “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” – Aristotle
2. “Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” – Margaret Mead
3. “The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.” – Sydney J. Harris
4. “Do not train children to learning by force and harshness, but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.” – Plato
5. “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” – John Dewey
6. “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
7. “Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.” – Albert Einstein
8. “Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon.” – E. M. Forster
9. “Education breeds confidence. Confidence breeds hope. Hope breeds peace.” – Confucius